Support Worker for Inner-City Kids
The Writers’ Exchange gets Vancouver’s inner-city kids excited about reading and writing through fun, free programs and the help of volunteer mentors. We are looking for someone to provide behavioral support for kids and to help create a safe and welcoming environment that removes barriers so that kids have fun and feel successful.
Does this describe you?
Believe that kids are awesome and can achieve anything
Passionate about working with at-risk kids
If so, we want you on our team!
Skills we’re looking for:
- Lots of experience working with at-risk kids and an understanding of the issues they may face.
- Experience with and strategies to support a wide variety of social and emotional challenges/behaviours.
- Can recognize and de-escalate potentially aggressive or disruptive behaviour before it becomes an issue.
- The ability to make quick changes on the fly.
- Are able to re-set each day and start fresh.
- Will not limit kids.
- Great communicator who can relate to kids and adults from all walks of life.
- Able to deal with stress and can ask for help when needed.
- Love to be a part of a team.
- Give amazing high-fives.
What will you be doing?
Day to day:
- Working with the rest of the WE staff to support all the kids and the volunteers during program hours. During a typical program, kids eat snacks and play games, read and do a crazy creative-writing activity (created by the Program-Coordinator), all with their volunteer mentors. You may be working with the entire group of 25 kids or one-to-one with specific kids who need some extra support.
- Participate in pre-brief and de-brief with the other staff and volunteers and provide feedback and support for the volunteers when needed.
- Keep lines of communication open with the Program Coordinator so that kids have consistent messaging.
- Work with staff to create strategies to help individual kids succeed.
- Work with staff to make the environment supportive and run as smoothly as possible.
- Be an enthusiastic and knowledgeable representative of the Writers’ Exchange.
- Be knowledgeable of other support services so that we can fully support kids and their families with issues that fall outside of our expertise.
These are our values. Do they line up with yours?
- Put the kids first
- Treat everyone with respect
- Listen and help
- Make everything innovative and fun
- Look for shared values in our partners and our team
Other must haves
- Valid first aid certificate (or the willingness to obtain one).
- Food Safe (or the willingness to obtain).
$19/hour – $21/hour, depending on experience
This position requires work from 2:45pm – 5:45pm on weekdays, when school is in session (approximately 38 weeks a year, excluding winter break, spring break, summer break, statutory holidays and professional development days). Depending on the schedule of the successful candidate this position can be a three, four or five day a week position (must be the same hours and days every week). Some additional daytime, evening and weekend hours are (very) occasionally required.
This position will only remain open until a suitable candidate is found - early application is highly encouraged. Apply to Jennifer MacLeod at jmacleod@vancouverWE.com, with subject line “WE support worker application”.