Thank you so much for signing up to volunteer with the Writers' Exchange kids!
You are ALMOST done with the application process. Just FOUR more quick steps:
1. All volunteers must complete a free criminal record check with the province. Please complete the check RIGHT NOW, as it can take up to 6 weeks to process, and this can impact your start date.
Online Link: https://justice.gov.bc.ca/eCRC/
Access Code: 3A48UK3L87
You may be required to complete an extra step to verify your identity. Please let me know if that is required in your case, as I will need to see two pieces of government-issued ID, sign, and send your criminal record check in to the province.
If you are 17 or under, please email us at sjhamilton@vancouverWE.com to let us know.
2. Please email the following questions to your two references and ask them to send their responses to email@example.com (appropriate references include current/former employers or co-workers, current/former volunteer managers, teachers or profs, or close personal friends who know you very well).
How do you know this person?
If this person were to volunteer with us, she/he would be working with at-risk kids ages 5 to 13 on homework and creative writing projects. Do you think she/he would be suitable for the position? If so, why?
We require all volunteers to make a firm weekly commitment. Do you think that this person is capable of honouring such a commitment? Please provide some examples if you can.
Have you seen this person work with kids? If so, what is she/he like?
Do you have any concerns about her/him working with at-risk kids as a literacy tutor?
Is there anything else you would like to add regarding her/his suitability to volunteer with our program?
4. All new mentors are required to attend a mandatory training session on Monday, April 30th from 5:30 - 7pm at 881 E Hastings St. In this session you will learn specific tips and tricks that will help you support the kids at Writers' Exchange.
Please RSVP and mark the event on your calendar.
We will confirm program times and locations in January. After-school programs will run from Monday to Friday, 3-5pm.
In the meantime, please check out our FAQs, and social medias to get a glimpse of all of the fun you're gonna have:
- Instagram @writers_ex — for beautiful (if we do say so ourselves) photos of creative programs in action
- Facebook.com/thewriters.exchange — for a behind-the-scenes look at all things Writers’ Exchange, from kids’ stories to photos of wacky donations (like 22 armloads of mini pumpkins!)
- Twitter @writers_ex — for short bursts of community connections and insightful kid quotes
Looking forward to seeing you soon!
—The Writers' Exchange Crew