Thank you so much for signing up to volunteer with the Writers' Exchange kids!
You are ALMOST done with the application process. Just THREE more quick steps:
1. All volunteers must complete a free criminal record check with the province. Please complete the check RIGHT NOW, as it can take up to 6 weeks to process, and this can impact your start date.
Online Link: https://justice.gov.bc.ca/eCRC/
Access Code: 3A48UK3L87
You may be required to complete an extra step to verify your identity. Please let me know if that is required in your case.
2. Please email the following questions to your two references and ask them to send their responses to firstname.lastname@example.org (appropriate references include current/former employers or co-workers, current/former volunteer managers, teachers or profs, or close personal friends who know you very well).
How do you know this person?
If this person were to volunteer with us, she/he would be working with at-risk kids ages 5 to 13 on homework and creative writing projects. Do you think she/he would be suitable for the position? If so, why?
We require all volunteers to make a firm weekly commitment. Do you think that this person is capable of honouring such a commitment? Please provide some examples if you can.
Have you seen this person work with kids? If so, what is she/he like?
Do you have any concerns about her/him working with at-risk kids as a literacy tutor?
Is there anything else you would like to add regarding her/his suitability to volunteer with our program?
3. Please sign up for one of our new volunteer orientations:
Summer programs will begin the week of July 3rd. The schedule is as follows (more programs to be added in the coming weeks):
In the meantime, please check out our social medias to get a glimpse of all of the fun you're about to have:
- Instagram @writers_ex — for beautiful (if we do say so ourselves) photos of creative programs in action
- Facebook.com/thewriters.exchange — for a behind-the-scenes look at all things Writers’ Exchange, from kids’ stories to photos of wacky donations (like 22 armloads of mini pumpkins!)
- Twitter @writers_ex — for short bursts of community connections and insightful kid quotes
Looking forward to seeing you soon!
—The Writers' Exchange Crew