Thank you so much for signing up to volunteer with the Writers' Exchange kids!
You are ALMOST done with the application process. Just THREE more quick steps:
1. All volunteers must complete a free criminal record check with the province. Please complete the check RIGHT NOW, as it can take up to 6 weeks to process, and this can impact your start date.
Online Link: https://justice.gov.bc.ca/eCRC/
Access Code: 3A48UK3L87
You may be required to complete an extra step to verify your identity. Please let me know if that is required in your case, as I will need to see two pieces of government-issued ID, sign, and send your criminal record check in to the province.
If you are 17 or under, please email us at sjhamilton@vancouverWE.com to let us know.
2. Please email the following questions to your two references and ask them to send their responses to email@example.com (appropriate references include current/former employers or co-workers, current/former volunteer managers, teachers or profs, or close personal friends who know you very well).
How do you know this person?
If this person were to volunteer with us, she/he would be working with at-risk kids ages 5 to 13 on homework and creative writing projects. Do you think she/he would be suitable for the position? If so, why?
We require all volunteers to make a firm weekly commitment. Do you think that this person is capable of honouring such a commitment? Please provide some examples if you can.
Have you seen this person work with kids? If so, what is she/he like?
Do you have any concerns about her/him working with at-risk kids as a literacy tutor?
Is there anything else you would like to add regarding her/his suitability to volunteer with our program?
We will confirm program times and locations in January. After-school programs will run from Monday to Friday, 3-5pm.
In the meantime, please check out our FAQs, and social medias to get a glimpse of all of the fun you're gonna have:
- Instagram @writers_ex — for beautiful (if we do say so ourselves) photos of creative programs in action
- Facebook.com/thewriters.exchange — for a behind-the-scenes look at all things Writers’ Exchange, from kids’ stories to photos of wacky donations (like 22 armloads of mini pumpkins!)
- Twitter @writers_ex — for short bursts of community connections and insightful kid quotes
Looking forward to seeing you soon!
—The Writers' Exchange Crew