Deadline for the July and August term applications has been extended to Friday, June 9th.
If you love reading, writing and working with kids, then join our team of volunteer mentors! You can have fun while helping kids build their literacy skills and self-esteem through tutoring and creative writing projects. We encourage volunteer applications from a wide range of backgrounds.
“Many of the kids we work with face tremendous challenges. Sometimes, when they start, they are really uncertain and tentative and maybe even disruptive, but now I know that just by being there and offering them kindness, a continual fresh start and enthusiasm for reading and writing, you can yield really inspiring results.”—Joe, volunteer mentor
Who can volunteer? Anyone who is:
- 16 years or older
- available for two hours a week for at least a full term (terms run from September to December, January to March, April to June, and July to August)
- able to volunteer during program hours, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (if you normally work during these times, check out our employee volunteering opportunities and get your whole team involved!)
- passionate about children's literacy and not afraid to be wacky!
How do I become a volunteer? You must complete:
- the application form—once we receive this we can help you with the rest of the steps
- a criminal record check—free for anyone with a BC government–issued ID
- a two-hour orientation session—where you'll learn about the cool activities we do, what a typical shift looks like, safety stuff and some tips to make you a great mentor
The entire process from application to being placed in a program can take up to one month.
Deadline for summer program applications has been extended to Friday, June 9th.
Need more info? Check out our FAQs, take a look at the different types of programs on the application, or contact Sarah-Jane Hamilton, Volunteer Manager, at 604.428.8228 or firstname.lastname@example.org.